Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Rustic Choco-Coffee Snack Cake


Since I gave up coffee this Lent, Sundays usually involved a trip to Starbucks, the local bookstore coffeeshop, or what actually happened- the busting out of some coffee recipes.

 I'd been eyeing Ashley's amazing recipe for a few weeks and finally got around to making it one Sunday.


 Chocolate.

 Coffee.

 Snack.

 Cake.


Need I say more?

I was in love...I mean, just look at that. We're talking serious beauty here.

It was every bit as good as it looked...and best of all, it didn't give me a sugar hangover. If you're looking for a very sweet dessert type of cake, this isn't quite your piece of cake. But if you're looking for something to nibble on during the day that will not only satisfy your chocolate craving and keep you full from the whole grains, you've found the right slab of carby goodness. 

The ingredient list was chock full of some of my favorites: almond milk, maple syrup, pumpkin, flax, etc. It's not full of butter and sugar. I firmly believe there is a time and a place (coughJoytheBaker'schocolatecakecough) for that, but I wanted something a little less sweet. 

And did they deliver. 


I made a few changes to Ashley's recipe based on what I had on hand: cow's milk instead of almond, mashed banana instead of pumpkin, brown sugar in lieu of maple syrup, and a mixture of whole wheat and whole wheat pastry flour instead of the almond meal and gluten-free flours. The coffee flavor wasn't overly strong (but I still loved them), so what I'd suggest mixing the milk with the instant coffee.

Or add a shot of expresso!

Or two.

Show yourself some love. And caffeine. (I see you, fellow college and high school students - take comfort. The end is near...)

It's baked in a cast iron skillet, which bakes it perfectly, leaving the inside fluffy and soft. I used this adorable individual-sized cornbread skillet for for a rustic feel and cute pre-portioned slices.

The batter isn't overly sweet, but I added a generrrrrous handful of chocolate baking chips.

As in, 1/2 cup. Maybe more.

Heh.

The chocolate chips are what make it! I couldn't decide between the quirky "sprinkle-and-let-fall-where-they-may" look or the classic, chic, neatly-arranged edge of chocolate chips. So of course, I did both.

It's all about balance, friends.


Rustic Choco-Coffee Snack Cake [Adapted from Edible Perspective]

  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 c. + 1/4 chocolate chips
  • 2 tbsp. ground flax meal or chia seeds (you could also just use an egg)
  • 5 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. instant coffee 
  • 3/4 c. milk
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar (Ashley calls for 7 tbsp. maple syrup, but I was out. Next time though, I'll use maple syrup. I usually prefer to bake with it instead of conventional sugar.)
  • 3 + 1 tbsp. oil (I used coconut, but canola or vegetable will work also)
  • 1/2 a banana, mashed
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda. 

1. Set your oven to 350* to get it nice and toasty. 
2. Grease cake pan, cast iron skillet, or 9x9 baking pan and set aside. 
3. Mix together flour, 1/2 c. of chocolate chips, flax/chia seeds, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
4. In a larger bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients and instant coffee until combinded. 
5. Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined - just like scones, you don't want to overmix. 
6. Eat some batter. 
7. Make sure you eat some that has chocolate chips in it!
8. Pour the batter into your pan; it will be thick, so you may have to help it along, and spread smooth.
9. Arrange additional 1/4 c. chocolate chips on top and bake for 20-30 minutes. Test with a knife or toothpick and bake for an extra 5-10 minutes if needed. 
10. Let most cool, but cut yourself a slice moist and hot out of the oven.
11. Enjoy with milk, yogurt, ice cream; top with almond butter, powdered sugar, frosting, jam...or just enjoy it plain, as it is. :)

 These were so, so good. Go make them. Eat them for breakfast, lunch, tea, snack, dinner, and your midnight smackeral.


Warning: these are even more addicting eaten cold out of the freezer with a glass of milk.

Proceed at your own risk.

2 comments:

  1. This is in the oven right now and smells delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear it, Jessica! Hope you enjoyed them - I ate one straight out of the oven and loved every crumb. :)

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts