Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Breakfast Pumpkin Challah Bread Parfait


I love fall so much.

But I love pumpkin more.

What's not to love? It's so amazingly versatile - from soups to souffles, to smoothies and whatever else the blogging world dreams up each autumn. And this year (like every year, haha), I may or may not have become obsessed with pumpkin recipes. So much so, in fact, that I have a page dedicated just to pumpkin recipes on the Note app on my iPhone.

 (Heh. Yes, I finally have one. Perk of the 4G coming out = AT&T giving the 3G away free to anyone who eligble for an upgrade.)

Ahem. I digress. Pumpkin...yes, my beloved fall squash. It's quite possibly my favorite vegetable, up there with fresh baby spinach.

 As I had half a loaf of pumpkin harvest challah bread left, my tastebuds and mind were collaborating to see how many recipes I could come up with to use the leftovers.

 Among the many that sprang to mind was one I was especially eager to try. Pumpkin and banana fro-yo parfait.

Banana soft serve - or "fro-yo" as I call it, because it reminds me of frozen yogurt - is created by simply blending a frozen peeled banana with a tiny amount of milk. It transforms into a silky, decadent-tasting yet oh-so-healthy treat reminiscent of ice cream.

 I make banana fro-yo at least four times a week, so when I was pondering what to pair with the pumpkin challah bread, I had a lightbulb moment. Pumpkin challah bread layered with banana fro-yo, almost like a mousse parfait.

Yes. 

This was so, so unbelievably good. I could not stop "mmmm"ing while spooning it into my mouth. I couldn't believe how mind-blowingly good such a simple dish was.

Breakfast Pumpkin Challah Bread Parfait


Ingredients:
  • 2 slices leftover Pumpkin Harvest Challah bread
  • 1 frozen banana, peeled
  • 1/2-1 c. milk (I used soy since that was what I had)
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • handful of ice
  • 2 Tbsp. pumpkin
  • 1 Tbsp. chia seeds (optional)
Toppings:
  •  dried cranberries
  • buckwheat groats
  • coconut butter
  • nut butter 
  • nutmeg and cinnamon 
1. Toast pumpkin challah bread slices. You want them nice and crispy with a bit of a crunch so they don't become soggy quickly in the banana soft serve.

2. Add ice, banana, milk, cinnamon, and chia seeds if using (I was out) to blender. Blend until creamy and smoothie. Go easy on the milk and add a little bit at a time as needed. You want the consistency to be thick like ice cream or frozen yogurt. When you can spoon it up, it's perfect. But don't panic if yours is more liquidy than that. It's your show so make your banana fro-yo how you want it!

3. Cube the toasted bread and place a third of the pieces in the bottom of a parfait glass. (I used a margarita glass because I'm classy like that - and it was pretty. ;) Add a spoonful of pumpkin and 1/3 of the banana fro-yo on top. Repeat, adding a sprinkle of dried cranberries. Make your final layer on top, saving a few bread cubes to crumble on top.

4. Decorate with toppings! I sprinkled more dried cranberries, buckwheat groats (so delightfully crunchy), the last third of pumpkin, coconut butter, and a special nut butter - Nuuuutzo!



Mmmmm.....heaven in a glass. Look at that cool, creamy, silky soft serve overflowing and dripping down the side. It just begs to be licked, like a melting ice cream cone.

This is the perfect breakfast to celebrate the start of  the Thanksgiving holidays.


Here's to a indulgent, healthy holiday. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts